If you wish to travel to Slovakia, then this complete guide on how to apply for a visa will help you achieve that, we will cover Slovakia Visa Application and requirements. You should already know that the journey to move to a new country isn’t really simple but we have tried to make it as straightforward and simple as possible.
There are several requirements and documents that must be provided in order to ensure smooth transitioning in the country. The requirements may vary depending on the purpose of your visit. It could either be a long term visa or a short-term visa. The short-term visa which is also called Schengen visa is for tourists, visitors, or businessmen or businesswomen as well as medical treatment cases.
This type of visa usually takes about 6 months to a year before it expires, at this point you will either return to your home country or apply for a renewal in special cases. For long-term visas such as the student visa, it could run for a duration of 2 to 5 years depending on the level of study or the degree you are pursuing.
The application process is very simple and straightforward and if you have all your documents ready and duly signed, your application for a visa should be approved within 1 to 3 months.
Because some countries do not have the Slovakian embassy on ground, you may be prompted to submit an application through the Swedish Visa Application Centre, or any other embassy suggested via the Slovakian website. You will see the link below to get more details about it.
TYPES OF VISAS YOU CAN OBTAIN AT THE SLOVAKIAN EMBASSY IN NIGERIA
- Short-term Visa – includes:
- Business visa
- Tourist visa
- Visiting visa
- Conference visa
- Cultural visa
- Medical Treatment visa
- Long-term visa – includes:
- Student visa
- Employment visa
- Family reunion visa
- Relocation visa
What are the steps involved?
To help you understand what you are going to do at all times, we listed 5 steps that explain how the application process works and what to expect, we will run down the steps involved briefly and also use one of the visa types to understand how you can go about the application process. But before then, we will first explain the general documents that are required for each visa type, and the requirements that must be met.
APPLICATION STEPS THAT ARE INVOLVED FOR SLOVAKIAN SCHENGEN VISA
- To start this process, you need to first get the form online, download it and then fill out the form.
- Ensure you have the hardcopy with you when you visit the embassy
- You are also expected to have other documents attached to the application form.
- Check for errors and provide the documents that have been requested. If at some point it is discovered that you provided false or misleading information, your visa application may be terminated
- Pay the application fees or cost involved.
- Ensure you constantly check your email inbox to know when you receive an email. We would advise that you begin your application very early to avoid problems of late submission and also help you avoid the late hour rush of the last minute.
- If you are applying for a visa, you should also have at the back of your mind that your application may be rejected, early submission could yet help mitigate the issue.
What documents are required to apply?
The documents may differ depending on what you are coming to in the country. If its for a student visa your documents may be quite different from that of the person who is applying for a work or visitor visa. The general documents required are:
- You are required to have a copy of your passport
- Have a passport photograph of the correct size.
- Your international passport must be a maximum of 6 months from expiration.
- Complete a medical test and present the written result as well as a police clearance to prove that you are admissible to enter Slovakia and to ensure you are not a threat to the lives and property of residents in Slovakia.
- You should have medical insurance that has a minimum coverage of 30,000 Euros covering the entire Schengen area.
- Evidence of Basic traveling allowance that is enough to cover the entire duration of your stay in Slovakia
- During the application, you are required to write a detailed statement of purpose explaining why you want to enter Slovakia.
- Evidence to show flight booking indicating the airline, departure, and arrival dates
- Photocopies of your previous visas if any
- You will also have to provide evidence of flight booking
For Those Under the Age of 18 years
If you are underage, it is expected that you should be traveling under the care of your parents or guardian. So you are to provide the following:
- Original birth certificate
- Letter of consent from both parents
- Attach the copy of your parent’s identity card
- The application must be duly signed by the parent or guardian.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO APPLY FOR A VISITOR VISA
- You are required to have a letter of invitation from the person living in Slovakia
- Applicants must also provide a photocopy of the data page any means of identification such as national I.D. or international passport.
- Your tax clearance certificate
- Bank statement of the last 6 months
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO APPLY FOR A BUSINESS VISA
- You are required to have a letter of invitation from the company or organization in Slovakia
- Proof of previous business dealings
- The letter must carry the company’s official letter-headed papers and it should also show explicitly the purpose and duration of your visit.
- You are required to provide proof showing that the company will bear your financial responsibility during your time in Slovakia.
- Present a copy of the company’s certificate of incorporation
- The company’s Bank account statement from the last 6 months
- Your tax clearance certificate
- Evidence that you did business with the company in Slovakia
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO APPLY FOR A STUDENT VISA
- Proof of admission like a Letter of admission or acceptance offer from a University or College in Slovakia
- Present proof that shows you paid part or full payment of school fees
- Original and photocopies of your documents and credentials used during the admission process
- Your birth certificate
- A financial support letter from your parents or guardian
- Be ready to attend the visa interview.
- You will have to subject to do a biometric fingerprint before submitting your application.
- Self-addressed envelopes
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS WHO WISH TO APPLY FOR A MEDICAL TREATMENT VISA
- Medical appointment from a reputable hospital in Slovakia
- A letter from the hospital in Slovakia stating that the Hospital is ready and capable of performing the surgery or medical treatment the applicant is in need of.
- A detailed report from your personal doctor in your home country indicating the reason for urgent medical treatment in Slovakia
- You will need to make advanced payment and then provide a receipt as proof of advanced payment for the treatment, accommodation, and additional insurance coverage
Can I extend my Schengen visa in Slovakia?
Yes, you can extend your Slovak Schengen visa but only in exceptional cases where new facts and special reasons arise after entry in Slovakia.
Please read the article Extending a Schengen Visa to understand in what circumstances and what are the conditions you must fulfill in order to be eligible to Extend your Slovak Schengen Visa.